Monday, April 15, 2013

Ubuntu: Reinstall or Recover Ubuntu GRUB

This is post will explain how to reinstall the Ubuntu GRUB.

Initially I had Windows 7 and Ubuntu as dual boot. Later I installed CentOS and it changed the GRUB. On boot, Ubuntu was not showing in the boot selection list. Then I tried several ways for updating GRUB with Ubuntu and I didn't get. After many searches in Google I found a tool which solves the GRUB problem.

First boot with Ubuntu Live CD, open terminal (shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+t). Execute below command.


First add the boot-repair repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

Update your repository:

sudo apt-get update

Now install boot repair:

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair

Open the boot-repair tool from terminal:

boot-repair

 Wait for few minutes it will scan your machine. Then click Recommended repair button





Then restart the machine on successful repair.

Now you dual or triple OS list in boot list.


For more option on repairing, click Advanced options, this will several customization options.



No comments: